TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List is a membership organization of fiber artists and textile businesses on the web. TAFA showcases member portfolios through its website, provides access to larger markets, offers business resources and fosters community.
These goals are achieved through:
1. The website: Showcasing members through member profiles and illustrated search results. The List is TAFA’s alphabetical directory. Click on the magnifying lens in the navigation to search the site.
2. Market Accessibility: Networking with outside marketers and marketplaces, social media platforms and TAFA programs.
3. TAFA programs: Providing social media communities, audio-visual presentations featuring TAFA members, virtual exhibitions, access to resources and opportunities on the web.
4. Technical Assistance: Partnering with tech providers and information available on TAFA’s blog.
TAFA positions itself as a for-profit social enterprise with economic development as its core focus. In helping our members improve their presence online and in providing access to larger markets, individual members and groups can have more success at self-determination and financial stability. TAFA’s model springs from a new generation of businesses and angel investors which address the depletion of funds formerly available through grants and other institutions.
Who we are:
The TAFA List is a business community of entrepreneurs rooted in textile and fiber art products and traditions. A majority of our members have social and environmental agendas at the core of their business. TAFA’s members have a shared goal of building their businesses through virtual and actual marketplaces in an increasingly global world. TAFA unites old and new traditions, their historical and modern importance, giving a shared platform to both contemporary and traditional textile techniques from all cultures.
TAFA was launched on January 31st, 2010. Members are vetted in based on their professional presence and originality. See Membership Application process.
- are diverse, representing products that range from supplies to museum quality work.
- include working artists, retail and wholesale e-commerce, cooperatives, galleries, organizations, writers, publishers, and collectors.
- are committed to sustainable products (green, recycled, fair trade, etc.) in significant numbers.
- have a history of leadership within their niche through publications and workshops.
- create products ranging from handmade supplies to finished, high end installation works.
- represent over 44 countries.
- tend to have an active social media presence on Facebook, Etsy, LinkedIn, Flickr or other platforms.
TAFA’s main social media platform is on Facebook. Members are regularly promoted there. Follow us!