TAFA’s Print and Dye Photo Contest – November 2015
This contest is now over.
1st Place: Julie Pishny Textiles
2nd Place: Jennifer Libby Fay
Welcome to our Print and Dye Photo Contest!
All are welcome to participate. You can submit two images and vote on ten.
Your photo must feature print or dye techniques in some way. These include commercial or botanical dyes and paints, block printing, silk screening, lithographs, sun and snow printing, and any other processes that are done by hand. See this post on printing and dyeing for ideas.
You are allowed to photoshop your image and make it into art. In other words, you can manipulate the photo in any way you want, but the story that is being told is about a printed or dyed product. You must own your photo and the work shown. Vintage is allowed. Collages are NOT allowed. (The photo must be one seamless image.) Watermarks are allowed on the photo, but cannot be in the center of the image and should be like a signature, not taking over the image.
Please Read the Rules!
Photos that do not follow them will be deleted!
1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi.
- Anyone is welcome to participate. Each participant can submit two photos.
- You must own the copyright to the photos you post.
- We retain the right to delete any photo that is poorly done or inappropriate for a family audience. You will get a notice of deletion and will be able to submit something else.
- After submitting the photo, it will be held for approval and then posted on this page.
- Image size: 1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi. Please note: rectangular images are cropped to a square automatically, so you might lose an important part of the photo if it is accepted.
- There is a text field for a short one liner when you submit. That will be posted to our Facebook page. You can add more text to the image once we post it there.
- Submissions will be added to this album on our Facebook page: TAFAList Submissions will be loaded 3x a day or when there are a bunch to do at once. (Just check the page until you see your images there.)
- Deadline for submissions: November 11th 10 PM Central US Time
- Anyone can vote! Hover over the image and click on the heart. You can vote on ten different photos.
- Help your favorites win by sharing their photos with your peeps.
- Deadline for voting: November 12th 10PM Central US Time
- Winners: First and Second places
- 1st and 2nd place winners get an ad on our site. 1st place for one year and 2nd place for one month: Classifieds on TAFA Our ads get great visibility and show randomly on our blog page. (Note: Winner does not need to have a business and can use the ad to promote a favorite charity or anything else, upon approval.)
Here are some examples of print and dye works by our TAFA Members. Their Profiles: (Featured image, Jennifer Libby Faye), Jacqueline K Calladine, A Howling Ruth Production, Beyond Her Collection, Cape Cod Shibori, Dianne Koppisch Hricko, MarketPlace: Handwork of India, Colour Vie, Cowango Studios, Kit Eastman, Cross Cultural Collaborative, Oshiwa Designs, and Color Creek-Fiber Art.
You can find many more wonderful examples by exploring our Member Profiles. Please note that the featured image might show something else. Click on the following links to see our members who have been tagged with these skills: Dyed/Painted, Printed, Batik and Silk Painting.
Upload link will show up when contest is live and then disappear when it is over.
To vote, hover over image and click on heart.
Starts January 5th, 2016. We will be taking a break with the contests over the holidays.
Sign up in the footer to get our blog posts by email so that you don’t miss out! See our past photo competitions here.
We also have a monthly photo contest on our sister site, Artizan Made, starting on the 15th of each month. See the info here. Our focus there is on handmade eco-fashion and home decor and all are welcome to participate in the photo contests there as well.
Interested in joining TAFA? Membership info here.
Would you like to sponsor us? Check it out here.
Our sponsors do keep TAFA ticking! We thank them!
- Textile Artist, Workshops
Elena Ulyanova has a passion for eco and botanical dye processes and has taught her methods in many European countries. Originally from the Ukraine, she now lives in Poland. She sells upcycled garments and accessories that she dyes on Etsy.View Profile
- Artist, Teacher
Jane Dunnewold is an artist, teacher and author of surface design techniques. She teaches and lectures internationally and at her studio in San Antonio, Texas.View Profile
- Textile Artist, Clothing Designer
Mary Hertert hand dyes fabric and uses it in her garments and home decor products. She has a great shop on her site with one of a kind tops, vests, pants and capes. Based in Grand Junction, Colorado.View Profile
- Web Shop, Designer, Importer
Textiil sells artisanal fabrics, and creates modern global home decor and accessories from batik, ikat and songket sourced in Indonesia and Malaysia. They have a growing stock of sustainably made plant based dye batiks and natural dye silks.View Profile
- School, Workshops
The Pacific Northwest Art School offers workshops and classes in Fiber Arts, Mixed Media, Painting, and Photography. We are located on Whidbey Island, Washington, USA.View Profile
About Rachel Biel
We love hearing from our community!