TAFA’s Weaving Photo Contest – September 2015
This contest is now over!
Ann Robinson Textiles – a.r.t.
“I’m a handweaver, spinner and dyer based in Caithness, which is part of the Scottish Highlands. I am constantly influenced by the beautiful landscape that surrounds me and use the changing colours I see in my creations. Most of my weaving is taken up with making handwoven baby wraps and I love making customised wraps where I work with a client to create a one-of-a-kind piece for her, often using sources of inspiration from something very meaningful, like a wedding photo for example. The wrap here is one of my customs, for someone I’ve worked with closely before, and I used a handspun rose fibre weft, as it has an incredible lustre and suited the crackle weave really well.”
-Rachel Raynor www.weavingheart.com
Here is how it all went…
Welcome to our September 2015 Photo Competition!
Your photo must feature the weaving technique in some way. Weaving is defined as the interlacing of materials to create a fabric or structure. Loom weaving, tapestry, basketry, and all contemporary and traditional techniques are welcome!
You are allowed to photoshop your image and make it into art. In other words, you can manipulate the photo in any way you want, but the story that is being told is about a woven product. You must own your photo and the work shown. Vintage is allowed. Collages are NOT allowed. (The photo must be one seamless image.) Watermarks are allowed on the photo, but cannot be in the center of the image and should be like a signature, not taking over the image.
Please Read the Rules!
Photos that do not follow them will be deleted!
Image size: 1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi.
- Anyone is welcome to participate. Each participant can submit two photos.
- You must own the copyright to the photos you post.
- We retain the right to delete any photo that is poorly done or inappropriate for a family audience. You will get a notice of deletion and will be able to submit something else.
- After submitting the photo, it will be held for approval and then posted on this page.
- Image size: 1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi. Please note: rectangular images are cropped to a square automatically, so you might lose an important part of the photo.
- There is a text field for a short one liner when you submit. That will be posted to our Facebook page. You can add more text to the image once we post it there.
- Submissions will be added to this album on our Facebook page: TAFAList Submissions will be loaded 3x a day or when there are a bunch to do at once. (Just check the page until you see your images there.)
- Deadline for submissions: September 11th 10 PM Central US Time
- Anyone can vote! Hover over the image and click on the heart. You can vote on ten different photos.
- Help your favorites win by sharing their photos with your peeps.
- Deadline for voting: September 12th 10PM Central US Time
- Winners: First and Second places
- 1st and 2nd place winners get an ad on our site. 1st place for one year and 2nd place for one month: Classifieds on TAFA Our ads get great visibility and show randomly on our blog page. (Note: Winner does not need to have a business and can use the ad to promote a favorite charity or anything else, upon approval.)
Here are a few woven works by our TAFA Members. Their Profiles:
Featured image (at the top) Sherri Woodard Coffey; Album below – LoomOnTheLake, Anne-Marie Nygaard Eilertsen Tapestry, Katherine Lewis Willow Baskets – Dunbar Gardens, SAORI Santa Cruz, The Loaded Trunk, Cat Brysch Creations Studio.
We have an amazing representation of woven techniques and styles! See our other members who have been tagged with weaving: Click! (Note: their featured image might show something else…)
Participant Photos:Check contest id!
Starts October 5th. Theme: Felted
Anything felted will be welcomed using traditional or contemporary techniques and materials. Vintage allowed.
Sign up in the footer to get our blog posts by email so that you don’t miss out! See our past photo competitions here.
We also have a monthly photo contest on our sister site, Artizan Made, starting on the 15th of each month. See the info here. Our focus there is on handmade eco-fashion and home decor and all are welcome to participate in the photo contests there as well.
Interested in joining TAFA? Membership info here.
Would you like to sponsor us? Check it out here.
Our sponsors do keep TAFA ticking! We thank them!
About Rachel Biel
We love hearing from our community!