- Our SAQA Visionaries see the “Big Picture”.SAQA Visionaries are a leadership group of over one hundred committed SAQA members who are passionate about the art quilt and the community of artists who create them. Today, we’d like to acknowledge six of our Visionaries for their dedication to supporting the art quilt and its makers. To learn more about each of these members, please click on their name, and you will be taken to their individual story. SAQA Visionary Lynne Allen is inspired by family history, and she uses her art to try and make sense of what that is. Allen had these words to say about being a Visionary, “Sometimes in life you have time, and can give that easily. Other times you have money. When you are truly in balance, you may have both. And for the world to be truly in balance, we need to find ways to communicate and to share – to recognize what is enough and what is more than our fair share. Some people ... read more4 days ago
- Danielle Bodine at MUSEO GalleryNBO member Danielle Bodine will be exhibiting her fiber sculptures at MUSEO Gallery for the month of August. Please join the artists for the opening reception Saturday, August 4, 5-7pm. The show runs through August 26, 2018. Above: Photo Credit: Michael Stadler. The Wild Hares (Grouping 24”Wx25”Hx12”D) Mulberry papers cast on coiled baskets, painted, collaged, and embellished with “tongs” and other objects. 2018 ... read more4 days ago
- SAQA Benefit Auction 2018It is Benefit Auction Season at SAQA! Every year, hundreds of our members donate 12’’ x 12’’ quilts for the Benefit Auction. This year 443 members donated quilts. That’s a record! We are deeply honored by the continuing support of our members. THANK YOU. THANK YOU dear members for supporting SAQA in such a meaningful way. Your donations fuel our organization in many ongoing positive ways. Last year’s generosity raised almost $65,000. SAQA staff has finished the process of photographing, formatting, and uploading each and every one of the 443 quilts that will be available for bidding on this year. You can view all of the quilts on the website here. This year, all of the images are also on Pinterest. If you are a Pinterest fan, this is an excellent way to view and collect your favorite images. The 2018 SAQA Benefit Auction will take place from September 14 through October 7, 2018. Here are ... read more2 weeks ago
- July 2018 in ReviewSAQA Global Exhibition Hi-Lights Guns: Loaded Conversations had a very successful debut at the San Jose Quilt & Textile Museum in San Jose, California. You can learn more about the exhibition and the press it has received by reading this recent SAQA blog post. The exhibition in San Jose ends on July 15, 2018. Guns will then travel East and be displayed at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, Massachusetts from January 9, 2019 through April 6, 2019. SAQA Global Exhibition Season after Season artists have been announced. The exhibition opens in January 2019 at the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, Texas. Congratulations to the selected artists! The SAQA Global Exhibitions Turmoil & Tranquility is now scheduled to be on display at the Grants Pass Museum of Art in Grants Pass, Oregon. The exhibit will run from June 1, 2019 through July 27, 2019. SAQA has two new Global Exhibition calls for entry. Musica! will debut March 2020 at National Quilt ... read more3 weeks ago
- SAQA Local Connection In ColoradoSome of SAQA’s regions are quite large, and it can be difficult to schedule meetings to accommodate the entire region. One approach is to have a smaller local meeting which SAQA calls a Local Connection. Individual Local Connections might call them themselves by an assortment of names including pods or circle. These meetings can have a lot of structure or not. Here is a great example. On Saturday morning June 16, a group of SAQA members from the northern Denver Metro area met for the first time with the goal of creating a regional Local Connections group to share art and information. Anne Severn and Mary Louise Gerek SAQA Co-Reps for the CO/UT/WY region organized the event with with the hope that more such meetings will begin to happen in their region. Carol R. Eaton hosted the gathering at her home and studio in Westminster, CO. All participants truly enjoyed getting to see Eaton’s wet studio. Dorothy Raymond , Margarete Steinhauer, ... read more3 weeks ago
- Guns: Loaded ConversationsSAQA’s Global Exhibition Guns: Loaded Conversations opened on April 22nd at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles in San Jose, California. The exhibition features the work of 33 SAQA artists. This is Not The Time To Talk About Gun Control by Shawn Quinlan (Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, USA) The call for entry for this exhibition encouraged artists to express their feelings about gun usage which is an incredibly complicated issue for Americans. Artists responded to the call with visual art that is both personal and political in nature. EVERYDAY by Margaret Abramshe (Saint George, Utah USA) The juror was Dr. Vicky A Clark, an independent curator and writer, with a particular interest in fiber art. Clark is a professor of art history at the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, West Virginia University, and Clarion University. Her teachings focus on contemporary art issues. End Gun Violence by Kathryn Pellman (Los Angeles, California USA) The exhibition has ... read more4 weeks ago
- Call for Artists – page 2Calls for Artists are from juried art shows looking for more fine artists to exhibit at their art fairs. Click the art show web sites below to learn more and use this list to plan your art fair exhibition schedule. [If your Art Fair would like more artists to apply, advertise your Call for Artists with us here.] Note: Artists, occasionally art fairs accept applications past their deadlines. It is often worth an inquiry. Click below and give them a call. 2018 July 6 & 7Muskegon, MichiganLakeshore Art FestivalDeadline: February 1Learn more: http://www.lakeshoreartfestival.org/Apply: zapplication.org/event-info.php?ID=6024 July 6-8Denver, ColoradoCherry Creek Arts FestivalDeadline: December 1Learn more: CherryArts.orgApply: http://cherrycreekartsfestival.org/artist-application/ July 6-8Breckenridge, Colorado35th Annual July Art FestivalDeadline: March 31Learn more: http://www.mountainartfestivals.com/Apply: zapplication.org/event-info.php?ID=6148 July 6-8Toronto, Ontario, CanadaToronto Outdoor Art ExhibitionDeadline: March 6Learn more & apply: www.torontooutdoor.art July 7 & 8Ludington, MichiganWest Shore Art FairDeadline: February 28Learn more: ludingtonartscenter.org/wsaf3.htmlApply: zapplication.org/event-info.php?ID=5992 ... read more2 months ago
- Barbara Shapiro in “Great Basin Basketry”NBO member Barbara Shapiro will be exhibiting her “Sedori Cane Vessel” in this Handweavers Guild of America international juried exhibit. The juried exhibit features functional or nonfunctional, traditional or nontraditional forms in basketry techniques. Barbara’s piece measures 36 L x 5 W x 5 H and is made of densely plaited random weave on hex woven cane, creating an elongated, boat-shaped basket. The Japanese Sedori (scraped and dyed) cane was purchased from Jiro Yonezawa. Great Basin refers to the geographical bowl of the area and is a source of natural weaving materials for the basketmaker, used over the centuries by the native peoples who have called the Great Basin their home. Extending the concept of using indigenous materials, this exhibit encourages and emphasizes the use of materials from the artist’s environment. The exhibit takes place during the HGA Conference from July 6 – 12, 2018 at the Peppermill Resort in Reno, Nevada. ... read more3 months ago
We love hearing from our community!
Feel free to comment! Also, we merged two sites into one. Please report any broken links you find on this page here so that we can fix them.