TAFA’s Winter Wonders Photo Contest – January 2016
This contest is now over. Thanks to all who participated!
Congratulations to the Winners!
Click on their images to visit their sites.
Welcome to our Winter Wonders Photo Contest!
All are welcome to participate. You can submit two images and vote on ten.
Your photo must feature winter in some way, shown through a textile or fiber art technique or supply. Photo could be about something warm to wear, a winter scene, wool yarn, woolly animals, and so on.
You are allowed to photoshop your image and make it into art. In other words, you can manipulate the photo in any way you want, but the story that is being told is about winter. You must own your photo and the work shown. Vintage is allowed. Collages are NOT allowed. (The photo must be one seamless image.) Watermarks are allowed on the photo, but cannot be in the center of the image and should be like a signature, not taking over the image.
Please Read the Rules!
Photos that do not follow them will be deleted!
1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi.
- Anyone is welcome to participate. Each participant can submit two photos.
- You must own the copyright to the photos you post.
- We retain the right to delete any photo that is poorly done or inappropriate for a family audience. You will get a notice of deletion and will be able to submit something else.
- After submitting the photo, it will be held for approval and then posted on this page.
- Image size: 1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi. Please note: rectangular images are cropped to a square automatically, so you might lose an important part of the photo if it is accepted.
- There is a text field for a short one liner when you submit. That will be posted to our Facebook page. You can add more text to the image once we post it there.
- Submissions will be added to this album on our Facebook page: TAFAList Submissions will be loaded 3x a day or when there are a bunch to do at once. (Just check the page until you see your images there.)
- Deadline for submissions: January 11th 10 PM Central US Time
- Anyone can vote! Hover over the image and click on the heart. You can vote on ten different photos.
- Help your favorites win by sharing their photos with your peeps.
- Deadline for voting: January 12th 10PM Central US Time
- Winners: First and Second places
- 1st and 2nd place winners get an ad on our site. 1st place for one year and 2nd place for one month: Classifieds on TAFA Our ads get great visibility and show randomly on our blog page. (Note: Winner does not need to have a business and can use the ad to promote a favorite charity or anything else, upon approval.)
Here are some examples of Winter Wonders by our TAFA Members. Their Profiles: (Featured image, Catherine Timm), Judy Warner, Farm Genevieve, Wrapture by Inese, Fabrics of Nature, Bear Creek Felting, Rebecca Dufton Fiber Artist, Daria Lvovsky – Art of Felting, FeltHappiness, The Wild ‘N’ Wooly, Elena Rosenberg Wearable Fiber Art, urbanknit, and Feuer und Wasser.
You can find many more wonderful examples by exploring our Member Profiles.
Upload link will show up when contest is live and then disappear when it is over.
To vote, hover over image and click on heart.
Starts February 5th, 2016. Theme: All About Love
Sign up in the footer to get our blog posts by email so that you don’t miss out! See our past photo competitions here.
We also have a monthly photo contest on our sister site, Artizan Made, starting on the 15th of each month. See the info here. Our focus there is on handmade eco-fashion and home decor and all are welcome to participate in the photo contests there as well.
Interested in joining TAFA? Membership info here.
Would you like to sponsor us? Check it out here.
Our sponsors do keep TAFA ticking! We thank them!
- Asian Folk Art
Turkish Folk Art has an exceptional online shop featuring Central Asian textiles and crafts. While most are vintage, they also support village artisans working in traditional techniques.View Profile
Driven by colour and obsessed with her love/hate relationship with the creative process, Heidi lives to dye...and dies to quilt. She lives in Canada where she stirs up all kinds of fun! She also runs with scissors...View Profile
Gini Holmes is a mixed media artist who explores new technologies with traditional media. Her work seeks to provoke thought and discussion. She partners with artist Sandy Scott in a line of adornments for body and home, Venus d’Pyro.View Profile
Hand-dyed, knit and sewn scarves by Jane Porter. Jane works with a fair trade weaving group in India who provide her with many of the scarves she dyes.View Profile
- Fair Trade
HoonArts is a Fair Trade effort representing hand-crafted gifts and accessories from Tajikistan and other Central Asian Silk Road countries.View Profile
Folkwear Patterns are based on authentic ethnic and vintage garments, used by theatre and dance costumers, historic reenactors, art-to-wear aficionados, and anyone who enjoys dressing up.View Profile
- Artist, Supplies
Based in Sacramento, California (USA) Barbetta Lockart Contemporary Art – ITSA Studio showcase mixed media art by Barbetta and a rich assortment of supplies from around the world. ITSA Studio has a large selection of ethnic and tribal beads and textiles.View Profile
Ann Dunbar has developed her own technique of embroidery on water color paper. She lives near Paris and is inspired by landscapes, flowers, and city lights.View Profile
- MarketPlace: Handwork of India
MarketPlace: Handwork of India, empowering women and breaking the cycle of poverty! Fair Trade and handmade, long-lasting elegance!View Profile
- Textile Artist, Workshops
Elena Ulyanova has a passion for eco and botanical dye processes and has taught her methods in many European countries. Originally from the Ukraine, she now lives in Poland. She sells upcycled garments and accessories that she dyes on Etsy.View Profile
- Textile Artist
Laura Lee Burch is an American artist and author living in Israel. Her current passion lies in needle felting animals and people with humor and sometimes, a message. She welcomes special commissions of her work.View Profile
- Weaving- Home Textiles and Fashion Accessories
Mayamam Weavers, a fair trade cooperative of women in Cajolá, Guatemala, specializes in home textiles and fashion accessories.View Profile
Cindy Grisdela Art Quilts: Festival schedule and a nice display of what's available in her Etsy shop.View Profile
- Web Shop, Designer, Importer
Textiil designs modern, global, home decor from traditional wax resist block batiks crafted in Java, Indonesia. Our pillow covers and table linens are cut and sewn in Pennsylvania. All fabrics are small production North American exclusives.View Profile
- Gallery, Wholesaler
Afghan Tribal Arts Beads and Textiles, natural gemstones from Afghanistan and vintage textiles, following a regular show route in Southeastern USA.View Profile
- School, Workshops
The Pacific Northwest Art School offers workshops and classes in Fiber Arts, Mixed Media, Painting, and Photography. Whidbey Island, Washington, USA.View Profile
- Retail Gallery, Etsy Shop
CulturalPatina Gallery sells tribal art from around the world, with a special focus on SouthWestern Navajo rugs and Native American pottery. Holiday sale through December 22, 2015!View Profile
About Rachel Biel
We love hearing from our community!